14 September 2018
Joyce Andersen, Harvey Reid, & very special guest, Dave Mattacks
Harvey Reid and Joyce Andersen form a rare and versatile musical partnership, combining the best of American virtuoso instrumental work with razor-sharp harmony singing and a captivating stage presence. They will be joined by percussionist extraordinaire Dave Mattacks for this special performance on Friday, September 14. The trio takes to the stage a rich and varied repertoire, an arsenal of stringed instruments, and a deeply-satisfying emotional purity, with a fresh northern New England sensibility, free from showbiz and pretense.
Concert starts at 8:00 pm.
Joyce Andersen and Harvey Reid have combined their talents to create one of the most potent duos in acoustic music. They are both gifted instrumentalists, strong and versatile singers, and prolific songwriters, and are comfortable in a dizzying array of styles of roots and Americana music. They jump from showstopping Celtic jigs and old-time fiddle tunes to house-shaking blues rockers, soaring gospel duets, and achingly beautiful ballads.
Reid’s legendary acoustic and slide guitar work make a perfect backdrop for Andersen’s powerful fiddling, and they take turns on lead and harmony vocals to showcase a large and interesting repertoire of original, traditional and contemporary music. They have brought audiences to their feet at folk & bluegrass festivals, clubs, coffeehouses and concert halls across the US and in Europe and have released 32 highly-acclaimed albums between them.
. . .
Dave Mattacks is one of the most respected drummers in the music world and will be adding his incredible talents to this show. His resume is almost too incredible to be true. Dave’s discography includes five CDs with Paul McCartney and various CDs and tours with (among many others) Elton John, George Harrison, Jimmy Page, Sandy Denny, XTC, Jethro Tull, Brian Eno, Nick Drake, Cat Stevens, and Loudon Wainwright. He was also a member of the influential band Fairport Convention for many years.
- Harvey Reid is a one-man history of acoustic music. The Missoulian
- Reid is truly a giant of the steel strings . . . wonderful twists of originality and emotional depth . . . a wealth of techniques and ideas. GUITARPLAYERMAGAZINE.
- . . . a folk-style artist deserving of wider popular recognition . . . Unlike some virtuosos, he brings wit and panache as well as technique to his music. BOSTONGLOBE
- . . . Reid dazzles an audience with an array of stringed weapons. DENVERPOST
- That neo-traditional current is starting to be felt among the ranks of New England songwriters . . . among the hottest . . . New Hampshire fiddler-singer Joyce Andersen. Boston Globe
- . . . places her right up there with any of the songwriters out there performing their songs today. Sing Out!
- Youth and strength flow through [Andersen’s] voice. She’s got power and conviction. . . She’s writing new songs and retelling old stories, and there’s still something mysterious in her music that sounds like comes from an ancient and pure source. Minnesota Public Radio