2 February 2018
The Boxcar Lilies
Lisa Bastoni opens
On Friday, February 2, The Boxcar Lilies bring their captivating harmonies to the me&thee. The Cape Cod Times reports that this trio “brings energy, improvisation, and a charming presence to the stage each night. Anyone with an ear for folk or luscious harmonies will enjoy these women.” ¶ Singer-songwriter Lisa Bastoni opens the show.
Concert starts at 8:00 pm
The Boxcar Lilies bring spine-tingling harmonies and exceptional songwriting to every one of their shows. They perform an irresistible mix of folk, country, blues, and bluegrass-tinged Americana music. Though each member of the Massachusetts-based trio has a distinct vocal talent, Jenny Goodspeed (electric bass, guitar), Stephanie Marshall (washboard, guitar), and Susan Cattaneo (guitar) deftly weave their voices into a delicious whole – a sound that is sometimes delicate, sometimes gritty, but always innovative and soul-stirring.
Their trademark harmonies may have put the band on the Americana music map, but their genuine stage presence and off-the-cuff banter helped keep them there. They’ve brought their engaging live show to venues across the Northeast and beyond, including The Iron Horse Music Hall, Caffe Lena, Club Passim, and Philadelphia’s Tin Angel. The trio’s sparkling and lush brand of America has led to numerous opportunities including being selected for an official showcase at the International Folk Alliance Conference in Memphis and performing at the 2014 Falcon Ridge Folk Festival as the #1 Most Wanted Emerging Artist. This show at the me&thee will be a bittersweet one for the band. Susan Cattaneo has decided to concentrate on her solo career and the February 2 show will be her last one with Jenny and Stephanie.
Photo by Erik Hoffner
. . .
Following a ten-year break from music, a career change, and two children, Lisa Bastoni has returned to the scene with her CD, The Wishing Hour. Produced by Grammy-nominated songwriter and producer Felix McTeigue (Anais Mitchell / Lori McKenna), the album debuted at #1 most played on Boston’s WUMB. In the past year, Lisa has been selected to showcase at the New England Regional Folk Alliance (NERFA) conference, as well as the Falcon Ridge and New Song Music / LEAF Festivals. Her song “Rabbit Hole” was grand prize winner of the Great American Song Contest. She has opened for such artists as Lori McKenna, The Low Anthem, Regina Spektor, and Arlo Guthrie. Her musical style fits squarely in the Americana genre and her songs are memorable and compelling.
Photo by Andrew Marshall
This program is supported in part by a grant from the Marblehead Cultural Council, a local agency which is supported by the Mass Cultural Council, a state agency.
- The Boxcar Lilies bring energy, improvisation and a charming presence to the stage each night. Anyone with an ear for folk or luscious harmonies will enjoy these women. Cape Cod Times
- Forty-plus years old isn’t the typical age at which to venture into a career in music, but that didn’t stop the three women who make up this Western Massachusetts group. They play an engaging mix of folky bluegrass and acoustic country with prominent, twining harmonies. The Boston Globe, Highlights from the Green River Festival
- Each is blessed with a rich and expressive voice. It’s one of the secrets of The Boxcar Lilies’ potent vocal blend. Their music is far too earthy to be described as pretty, call it unabashedly lovely instead. “Folk,” of course, is an elastic term. With The Boxcar Lilies it frequently has a country feel, harkening back to pre-formula days when the narrative still seemed real and the emotions rang true. The Watershed Post (NY)
- . . .
- Lisa Bastoni returns after 10 years to wow us with this amazing self-written vocal masterpiece. The Wishing Hour is a fantastic record, user-friendly enough to be accessible to the layman but with a variety of textures to pick apart on every listen. Americana-UK
- . . . the songs are Americana of the highest order, think along the lines of Gretchen Peters or Patty Griffin, with high quality musos to match. Maverick-UK