23 March 2018
Seth Glier (canceled)
Crys Matthews opens
On Friday, March 23, the me&thee coffeehouse features a return visit by the immensely talented Seth Glier. Western Massachusetts based Seth Glier is a songwriter, guitarist, pianist and activist. His songs are passionate and heartfelt and full of hope. ¶ Crys Matthews is making her me&thee debut as the opener for this show.
Concert starts at 8:00 pm
Seth Glier averages over 150 live performances annually. He has gone from opening act to headlining his own shows and playing major folk festivals. He’s shared the stage with artists as diverse as James Taylor, Ani DiFranco, Emmylou Harris and Ryan Adams, and has quickly become known for his passionate live sets. Performing with 62-year old veteran musician Joe Nerney on harmonica, saxophone and harmony vocals, Glier’s live show places his melodic contemporary pop under a blanket of roots & blues. His music has also caught the ears of fans, industry and critics alike with His music has also caught the ears of fans, industry and critics alike with USA Today stating that his “exquisite tenor echoes Bruce Springsteen and Billy Joel.”
Glier’s newest release, Birds, is steeped in conflict and contradiction; there’s grief and loss, but also strength and resilience; doubt and dismay, but also a sense of optimism as Glier confronts heavy topics and wrestles them into the daylight. The album began taking shape after Glier lost his brother, Jamie, who died in October 2015, and inspired a TED Talk performance that Glier gave in 2016. The songs range from personal to political and are bound together by the awareness that our world is a fragile place. More than just a musician, Seth is an avid activist. He was chosen as a ChildFund Ambassador and traveled to Guatemala bringing music to remote areas and schools and he is also is a National Spokesperson for Autism Speaks. Just this winter, Glier was nominated for five different Independent Music Awards including best album, song, and cover song.
. . .
Crys Matthews is nothing if not ambitious. In August 2017, she simultaneously released both a new full-length album, The Imagineers and an EP, Battle Hymn For an Army of Lovers. These collections showcase two sides of Matthews’ dynamic songwriting; songs about love and life as well as those about social justice. She was one of ten finalists (from a pool of 5,000) in this year’s NewSong Music Competition and, after performing at Lincoln Center on November 30th, she was named grand-prize winner. Thoughtful, realistic and emotional, Matthews’ songs speak to the voice of our generation and remind us why music indeed soothes the soul.
- Seth Glier:
- Singer with an exquisite tenor echoes Bruce Springsteen and Billy Joel. USA Today
- This material sounds like nothing if not classics in waiting; it’s the essence of perfection. Blurt Magazine
- This young blood wields an old-soul air. Discover a new generation of great with Seth Glier’s ‘The Next Right Thing.’ Huffington Post
- . . .
- Crys Matthews:
- By wrapping honest emotions around her socially conscious messages and dynamically delivering them with a warm heart and a strong voice, she lifted our spirits just when we need it most in these troubled times. Erik Philbrook, ASCAP VP/Creative Director
- Matthews brings a rather refreshing and lively spirited hipster vibe to the music industry, with a simple, yet elegantly woven voice accompanying her acoustic guitar MD Theatre Guide