20 October 2017
Freddy & Francine & The Sea The Sea
On Friday, October 20, the me&thee coffeehouse will become a house of harmony. Two amazing duos, one from the East Coast and one from the West Coast, will sing their harmonies and enchant the audience. The Sea The Sea are a husband/wife duo whose voices enticingly entwine and enchant; Freddy and Francine are from Los Angeles and possess two strong and powerful voices that play off each other in magical ways.
Concert starts at 8:00 pm.
The Sea The Sea (Chuck E. Costa and Mira Stanley Costa) is an upstate New York based indie-folk-pop band featuring what Huffington Post calls, “Two of the loveliest male-female voices you might ever hear this or any other year.” The band takes its name from the ancient Greek soldiers’ cry of joy when returning home from battle.
Their 2014 debut release, Love We Are We Love, received praise from NPR, American Songwriter, and No Depression, among others, gathering nearly 15 million streams on Spotify. The animated video for “Waiting” sparked viral interest including Buzzfeed, Pitchfork, and inclusion at the international TED 2015 conference. Mountain Stage host Larry Groce calls them “Ready to take their place among the best young male/female duos now performing.” Their 2016 release, the six-song EP In the Altogether, recently earned features by Apple Music including Best of the Week and A-list Singer/Songwriter.
. . .
Freddy and Francine is an Americana-Soul duo comprised of Bianca Caruso and Lee Ferris. With voices reminiscent of Aretha Franklin and Van Morrison, their songs blend soul, R&B, folk, and Americana with a modern yet timeless appeal to all ages. Deli Magazine says, “Ferris and Caruso have found their respective vocal soulmates, the kind of perfect harmonies that send a gripping shiver down the backbone of the listener.” No Depression says, “Freddy and Francine currently top of my list. There is definitely a palpable chemistry between these musicians, with their vocals blending like milk and honey.”
Freddy and Francine have released two EPs & three full length records since 2008. Their latest, Gung Ho, was produced by renowned producer Todd Sickafoose (Ani DiFranco, Andrew Bird, Anaïs Mitchell) and featured members of Ryan Adams, Rufus Wainwright, and Andrew Bird’s touring bands. National audiences continue to be drawn to the duo as they “bring it all out on stage from a lullaby so sweet you’d swear a choir of angels were harmonizing just for you; to gut-busting, foot stomping tunes befitting a New Orleans gospel choir“ reports Flagstaff AZ Daily Sun.
- The Sea The Sea:
- Two of the loveliest male-female voices you might ever hear this or any other year . . . Huffington Post
- . . . lush, intuitive, enveloping harmonies. . . FolkAlley.com/Hear It First
- Their harmonies remind me of The Milk Carton Kids and The Weepies, with feather-light production which includes the obscure glass harmonica. NPR Music
- . . .
- Freddy & Francine:
- You probably haven’t seen this much chemistry since your required high school courses. LA-based “soul Americana” duo Freddy & Francine have the type of pull towards each other that transforms individual talent into a collaborative fire, offering lush harmonies and an unspoken romance beyond the lyrics but in the melodies as well. Elmore Magazine
- The duo captivated the room with a simplistic setup of two microphones, a guitar and four stomping feet. Music Connection Magazine
- Another “I wonder what is going on in this room” . . . discovery, this duo from Los Angeles (real names Lee Ferris and Bianca Caruso) served up an impactful set of smartly written acoustic pop songs. The real draw here is the sensational natural blend of their vocals. The Deli